26 July, 2011

Ingredients for a sailing rig

I spent part of the morning cutting bamboo canes from a feral running clump near here in Caboolture. I know the species (but can't name it)  so I'm not expecting much from its longevity. But since other bamboo cane supplies are light on at the moment -- free is free -- and I have enough canes to repair and replace spars and cross pieces on my proposed canoe sailing rig.

That left me with the question pf the sail -- and for $26 I got myself an 8'x10' (2.29x2.88m) Polytarp made by Durarig. I'm hoping that I can cut a neat diagonal on a 2.29x2.29m section of this tarp to create my sail. 

So with  two pairs of secondhand crutches ($4 each), an eyelet tool/set,  some duct tape, a selection of Zip/Cable ties and bungee cords -- I'm ready to start pulling, cutting, tying and trimming to create  nautical magic : all for around $40-50. 

I'll do the gallery photo thing to display all the bits and pieces as I make up my first draft of the rig. 

Using Zip/Cable ties makes it so easy to build as bamboo is a substance that prefers to be tied rather than nailed or  jointed into place. With Zip ties, nothing has to be permanent -- you can dismantle any structure by snipping the ties. Since I will also be using re-usable Zip ties -- the coming together will always be a developing project , that can be dismantled , as required, after each sail outing. 

I guess that other material additions will be required: some short pieces of clothesline and a couple of  spring loaded  clips...and a rope for the sail: one easy on the hands. 

Making sails from Polytarp  is a cheap way to harness the wind. Online you'll find a lot of DIY for Polytarp sail making. I wanted to utilize some of the inbuilt structural features of a readymade tarp so that sowing skills weren't   required -- as I have nil.

I'll be sailing -- or capsizing -- sometime next week.