29 June, 2013

Leeboard Design

Sketch of my leeboard design
I don't know it yet but I'm hoping this design -- pictured left -- for my leeboard will work.

After Googling up a frenzy  I began to work out my preferences.

The advantages of the design are:

  1. I can build it -- and have already created it in my fashion from scrap materials and a waterski. I now have a 'working' model.(Although I haven't actually sailed with it yet.)
  2. It hangs over the side of the Pirogue so it can be removed and attached easily as required because it just rests there by harnessing the lateral and medial forces of the water to stay in place.
  3. I can locate it anywhere along the gunwales relative to the size and the position of my sail.Since I plan to make a larger sail this is an important feature.
  4. If I run aground or the leeboard hits an underwater object the force pivots the leeboard up and out of further harm because it isn't attached directly to the hull.
  5. Since I am using wing nuts to attach the long board stem to the frame, I can adjust the depth of the board by moving it up or down a notch.
  6. I suspect that with some adjustment I may be able to sail with the leeboard at a diagonal thus I'd be able to change its depth while under sail by simply pivoting it manually. To facilitate this I'm thinking I may employ a banana curved rest so that the board sits on the gunwales with some potential rocker.
I have suspicions that will need to be resolved:
  1. Will I have to add weight -- such as lead --to the base of the board to keep it running deep in the water? This is why some canoe leeboards are made from metal or plastic -- material that doesn't float.
  2. Will I have to protect the side of the canoe from leeboard abrasions? (I suspect: yes. So I may be using padding.)