19 July, 2015

Making do with less

I don't live in a tent. Nor do I reside in a hut.But I do spend most of my indoor hours in my 'garage'.
Like some sheik, my indoors is coated in tentfulness.

I have floor to ceiling drop canvas hither and yon.

What should be a cold corridor this time of year, is really quite warm because of the cloth layering.
I've learnt that a spread of cotton (and whatever) is a great insulator if folded over. It's like wearing another layer of clothing.

Come the heat of Summer I just roll everything back like a Japanese bamboo screen.

Just saying: if you want to heat up and insulate a room, drop some floor to ceiling curtains. Insert some bamboo rods -- and Voila! you have a comfy cubby. 

When so ensconced I find the ready in-and-out thing, going to the backyard garden and back,  is direct and hassle free.

I'm half outside while being half inside.

And my room, my work room, has ambiance. It's not sterile interior decorated. It has functional substance.

You can engineer a lot of stuff into the one small space. You can add features that service you without being held hostage to 'look'...and still end up with 'cozy'.

And with all those drapes...you can spray them with essential oils and smell up the place real nice.

So small does indeed work. I'm saying we can live in less cubic space so long as we manipulate the environment  with ambiance in mind...and I'm mightily surprised how effective cheap curtaining can be.

Painters drop canvas...that's what I used ... and Op shoppery.

That's the thing in Australia: you need to accommodate to the extremes.Sponsor flexibility. Accommodate yourself on the cheap.

I think huts are great but tents fall down.  Caravans are OK but they are  width constrained.

In the age of the big blow, the big bushfire, the deluge, flash flood and storm tide I don't think any McMansion can save us.

Now is the time to start mixing and matching and making do with less.