02 August, 2019

Massage for Trigger Points & Myofascial Pain Syndrome

IF you suffer from muscle pain, either constantly or as a too frequent visitation, you may like to consider the role of trigger points in producing your distress.
While a deep tissue massage may seem like a good idea -- finding a good massage therapist (& one ruled by the science) isn't easy nor does their time come cheap.
But self massage is do-able and you can have a session any time you feel you need it.
Of course, it helps to know what you are doing. You want to know why.
Since I was a professional massage therapist at one time I highly recommend buying this book and studying it as a sort of DIY manual.
As a long time -- >30 years -- sufferer of brutal pain and stiffness I now find self massage -- daily in my case -- works to alleviate some of the intensity of the inconvenient soreness of Fibromyalgia.
The fact is that you can never have too many massages if you are in muscular pain when that soreness responds to informed touch.
It has taken me decades to realise this and the ONLY option is to employ my own hands because they come cheap and live nearby.
The remarkable thing is that the more often you massage yourself, the more aware you can take control over your own body rather than allow it to be victimized. If anyone is gonna know what works, it will be you learning via rub and feedback. 
In my case I now massage myself daily using an electric vibrating massager.  The ac/dc sure powers me!
While I target areas of pain and stiffness, I try to massage my whole body often enough so that  I'm attuned to its discomforts.
At the moment, massaging myself just before bed works for me. Since my condition is associated with sleep disturbance the routine makes sense and preps me for a better tomorrow.
All over massage can also help with circulation and lymphatic drainage. 
I massage from above and from below towards the heart and cisterna chyli. But, I should point out, all the way I'm riding the vibrate button regulator so I can control the pressure.

.