25 July, 2021

My kind of stick work: customised, evangelical and improvised

I think I've finally got my stick work sorted.

I've now signed up as a Patreon to Light Haven out of Goa, India as a student of Pekiti Tirsia Kali * -- although I'm only really interested in kali sticks. 

KALI

Tuhon Aditya Roy (pictured)is a wonderful teacher who offers a generous and very supportive YouTube presence.  

The Kali anchors my study and training because it gives me a clear martial perspective in a real world -- rather than traditional -- context. Without spiritualism, hierarchy or mythic traditions based on ancient warrior wars. Practice and discipline rules. Not magic.

TaiChi CHUAN

Because my past martial background was in the 108 Yang form of TaiChi Chuan I decided that I valued that experience greatly, and could recover my past knowledge and skill. So after researching Tai Chi stick forms, I have adapted a short  TaiChi form with a stick -- the Hanbo (hip high) -- to perform TaiChi each day and embrace the centring and essentialist balance TaiChi generates. I'm rather proud of the moves and 'steps' as it holds its own as a short form with a stick.

Maybe later I will learn a Jojutsu adaption of the Taiji Gun 24 Step which I think ticks a lot of the boxes I value in a form/drill.  Taiji Gun uses a tall Bo staff but that's not my weapon of choice.

In the meantime, by following the work of two US TaiChi masters  -- David-Dorian Ross and Jake Mace I am enabling and deepening my understanding of the 'inner' martial arts.

JOJUTSU

For me there is no question that  Takayuki Kanayama is the ultimate exponent of the sort of Jo work I appreciate. Fortunately, he too is teaching online --  and a student in the US -- the Plum Blossom Hapkido Club --  is replicating the lessons...in English.

Boy am I fortunate! 

That's my package. Seemingly eclectic, but day to day it holds together as one form enriches my work on  the other.


 *Pekiti Tirsia Kali(PTK) : Pekiti Tirsia Kali is an Indigenous Filipino Martial Art based around the use of the blade. It is taught to elite law enforcement and military personnel across 6 continents. It is instantly applicable and unapologetically effective. This is why it is one of the best choices for anyone seeking to learn how to defend themselves. Pekiti-Tirsia Kali incorporates the following weapon categories (including the human body) :
Solo Baston- Single stick or sword
Doble Baston- Double stick or sword.

Malayu Sibat - Spear
Espada y Daga - Sword and Dagger.
Daga y Daga - Knife to Knife
Mano y Mano - Hand to Hand.
Dumog - Grappling

Tuhon Aditya Roy is one of only two direct students in India of the legendary Filipino master GrandTuhon Leo T Gaje. He has been tasked with helping people protect themselves by spreading this incredible art. To this end he has founded PTK Shakti Sangha, who shall now base their operations out of LightHaven.