08 August, 2021

Pekiti Tirsia Kali & TaiChi


I'm studying Kali. PMA -- Philippine Martial Arts.
But my teacher -- Tuhon Aditya -- is in Goa India and I learn via YouTube.
The form he teaches is Pekiti Tirsia Kali which is one of the most respected of the Filipino family Kali traditions.
So much of the DIY has shifted online and in India, of course, it's the only way given the scale of the epidemic there.
It's a wonderful world -- this digital universe.
Light haven is here:https://tinyurl.com/yzucvmvz
As martial systems go Kali is without bullshit and very concrete in its layered approach. As a self-defence system -- if that's your thing -- I think it is one of the few that delivers.
As well as jojutsu -- a Japanese martial art that uses a stick (jō) in combat -- I'm renewing my past training in Yang TaiChiChuan and have integrated what I know about the jō and Kali sticks into a form I've choreographed. I'm quite proud of it.
TaiChi is an excellent routine to engineer balance and movement awareness. Compared to systems like Yoga, Feldenkrais and the other fashionable one it is so much more accessible in a lifestyle way if you want to be core and movment aware.
There are stick forms in TaiChi - 'guns' -- but I find many of them too flowery. Ironically, there's a better stick based martial experience, I reckon, to be had from some of the Qigong forms. Since I don't have a spiritual bone in my body, and don't believe in the flow of Chi or Taoism I guess I'm a habituated feral.