22 May, 2022

Here's the BianGun form I am currently studying.

Here's the BianGun form I am currently studying.

Inasmuch as I know, I'm the only exponent in Australia of this routine. With BianGun (aka whip rod, whip staff, biangan...) there are many styles adjusted according to different influences and traditions.
After much searching, I decided that this is the approach to stick work that spoke loudest to me.
I'm about one third the way through my mastering. To get it right will take years.
Unlike many biangun forms, here there is no movement waste nor demanding gymnastics or spiritual gestures.
I don't know its Chinese source but I do know that there is a lot of variation allowed with no insistence as to set footwork.
I also appreciate that it is not influenced by sword work. Nor is it caught up reaching for stylistic stances. Indeed, it's all about the strike and the transition from one strike to the next.
Compared to many other stick forms with this you can keep your distance from your opponent who is not presumed to be similarly armed. Stick on stick is not the real world of self defence. Furthermore, it's all about making every strike count rather than relying on a barrage of hits or attempted hits.
In the far North West Chinese tradition of Biangan -- like among the Uyghurs -- you seek to dissuade your opponent quickly. Therefore many very short forms begin with an unapologetic upper cut to the groin. While you train slowly, in 'battle' you explode into the attack.
Aside from that, a lot of the whipping effects are defensive -- made up of body blows, rather than head shots. This form also, I think, is very creative in deploying both ends of the stick.
Who da thought there could be so many angles of attack?
(NB: not me in video)