05 July, 2022

Body work and movement awareness.


Mainly, because I am so challenged by pain and stiffness, I've long been interested in body work.
Not only did I train as a massage therapist but as I became more restrained by my illness I've always tried to find therapies that could relieve my distress.
Back in the '90s I read a book -- whose title now escapes me -- that explored 'exercise' in a very objective way such that it included activities that I'd not considered before -- under the novel heading of 'movement awareness'.
Dance, many of the martial arts, tai chi, Feldenkrais, yoga, Pilates...the author argued were all 'movement awareness' regimes. The notion sat with me as something significant, so I began to explore the potential of myself being movement aware.
The 'Feldenkrais method ' had a big impact on me and I trained in Chang style Tai Chi as well.
In the time since I've sentenced my body to many activities per a sort of ongoing experimental project which I, myself, peer reviewed.
I won't detail the walking, the HIIT, the aquatic workouts, paddling, the boxing, kettlebell , dancing and scootering activities I pursued. But, let's say, I've learnt a few things en route to today.
There has been method in my eccentricities.
Inasmuch as my body speaks to me (& I'm actually listening) I've learnt to be a keen celebrant of the 'movement awareness' approach rather than that per gyms, coaches or physiotherapists of 'exercise'.
I think exercise can be reductionist and so easily obsessed with muscle mass and crude leverage, instead of the overall flow of the body -- its everyday function in space.
Indeed, what I realised I needed -- and I got -- was a way to function throughout the day by moving better.
And 'better' means moving with as many elements of the body involved in as many actions as possible.
Holistically.
To do this you need a conscious element to be activated as any action has various options in the way it could be performed.
Tai chi will harness that attribute as well as many dance moves. But my most fruitful exploration has been stick based martial artz. Primary I guess because it introduces the body to a tool -- the stick - which is other-than its own physiology.
The brain has focus -- an excuse to be aware. The stick demands ergonomics..and attention.
While I'm pleased with my solitary efforts and especially keen to expunge these activities of spirituality, I thought I'd check out the science.
If only to justify my hostility to any gym work obsessions.
...links between parasympathetic and immune systems are amplified and strengthened via neural circuitry that connects peripheral sensors and effectors in the body with brain-based limbic-prefrontal-sensorimotor networks for embodied self-awareness (body sense) and self-regulatory prefrontal areas. Moving slowly and with awareness promotes all of these benefits. Cardiovascular exercise with body sense has more benefits than exercising while otherwise preoccupied. Interval exercise, with frequent rest periods giving time to pay attention to the body, has benefits over and above long workouts. Slow movement is like Slow Food in which all acts related to eating—shopping, preparing, ingesting, and digesting - are done with awareness and presence.

Similarly, I recommend this excellent review of neuroplasticity -- Norman Doidge: 'The Brain that Changes Itself' (especially the last chapter).
Generally, in my experience, martial arts are a better way into this zone than other routes --many of which may be excused with an ethereal component. And many martial-arts-ruled-moves are closer to daily living than you'd assume -- especially stepping forth and turning, weight shifting and alignment. No fighting as such need be involved. Instead, you embrace a certain body confidence to the effect you will be standing upright no matter what.
While I had been exposed to the Taoist rationales for kung fu -- where moves are tortuously explained as ying and yang, I was delighted that my chosen stick form emanated from the muchly Islamic Uyghurs of North West China (them's the ones being so brutally oppressed). Without temple processing and enshrinement, it was devoid of pretension. Then more recently, the Silat tongkat style from Brunei settled any confusions I may have had about stick martial artz.
I guess there's an aphorism there: you cannot be truly aware of your body until you are challenged to defend it.