04 August, 2022

My current hijinx 'form' with stick in hand.Biangan


My current hijinx 'form' with stick in hand.
You'll note that the Biangan NW China/Uyghur style --which is my primary influence -- exploits both ends of the stick. Unlike the Japanese Jo tradition, there are very few sword like thrusts. Similarly, compared to some other stick forms, there's very little reason to spin the stick which, in my POV, is just showy and wasted energy that warps the approach to simple wrist work.
Flow is all an amalgamation of movement from the ground up.
What I lack --looking at the video -- is some low-level moves which is a feature of some Malay stick forms as you often strike from a crouching position.
First you need to get down there.
You can also see, I hope, why i think stick work is such good hijinx for the aging body: upright, balance instructive, coordination demanding, with no easy injuries. Although, as you begin stick waving, your shoulders are gonna hurt.
Maybe not the best form of the ever-so-boring resistance training but it is still you against gravity and I prefer heavier sticks. Not that I was after the sculpting, but I've bulked up a little from all this upper body work.
Obviously, since this is one session plus another with a short stick freestyling, there is a significant endurance and aerobic component.