30 June, 2021

The Way Forward

 After due consideration I reviewed the drill/kata approaches for my chosen sticks. I have decided that--aside from the Kali -- I'm going to study  Takayuki Kanayama.

It's the moves you see. 

Whereas  a lot of stick work is about moving the weapon from A to B in response to a sword attack, I think Kanayama -- despite his Kendo roots -- transcends that.

His feet movement remind me of Yang Style Tai-Chi Chuan (Taijiquan) 'Long' Form  -- which I studied back in the day. Of course, the stick is wielded differently from open hands but when my body registered its connection to Yang Tai Chi, I always loved doing a free form of it with a staff in my hand. 

This is one very good reason why I find myself where I am today. I was trying to get back there.

That doesn't make it any easier to learn this stuff, as the moves in succession are quite complex. 

In contrast with, say, the Hanbo as taught -- a lot of the drill work is a grunt and come again style --akin to karate kata. 

Hanbo is also very much a walloping art. 

Since one of my initial aims was the MOVEMENT of the body rather than the waving of the stick, Kanayama ticks my boxes. 

Nonetheless, I'm signed up for Kali (the Filipino martial art) because its logic is spot on reality, rather than being ruled by a far off tradition. Wonderfully engaging drills that train you up thoroughly. 

Of note is that many Jo staff approaches are held hostage to their particular martial arts school where they are deployed as an adjunct to techniques. Aikido's use of the  Jo is a good example... or the presumption that the moves facilitate stick to stick fighting. 

In contrast, I think Kanayama belongs to the tradition where you merge with the Jo. Check out Kono Yoshinori.